Captain Jason

The latest news on the recover of Jason after his injury in Iraq by an IED.


Pictures

Snail Mail:

Cpt. Jason Scott
WRAMC Building 20
Mologne House Hotel #316
6900 Georgia Ave. NW
Washington DC 20307

Phone: 202 577 0092

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Jason's Injuries

As most of you know Jason was badly hurt when a bomb exploded near or under his humvee. I have talk numerous people today and I am not sure who I have told what since I have been receiving information bits and pieces. What I have tried to do is summarize the information I have received and provide a time line below. I will send out an email once a day unless a major development occurs. If I am missing anyone on the email list please let me know.

Friday, October 14

A bomb exploded near or under Jason’s humvee causing sever injuries while he was on duty on Friday, Oct. 14, 2005. Other members of this unit were hurt or killed.

Friday, October 14, 2005

I received a call from the Army about 11:00 PM 8 hours after the incident. I was told he was critical condition; his right arm below the elbow had been amputated, he had laceration on right side of his face; he had abdomen and back injuries. He has been placed in a medical coma. I verified that the call was for real (Jason had warned us about hoaxes) and called Katy. Army casualty center is in Washington, D.C. and they are our link to Jason (1.888.331.9369). They have been very helpful and caring but there seems to be limited information coming out of the Army trauma center in Balad, Iraq were Jason was sent after the explosion.

I was told that the Army would provide a flight to either Germany or to the trauma center in the U.S for Katy, me and Lisa. They advise waiting tell Jason arrives in the U.S. because his stay in Germany seemed to be uncertain as to the length (4 to 7 days) and we are not sure of his condition.

Saturday, October 15, 2005

I was told that Jason was entering surgery for his back at 12:30 AM; I later found out it was for the buttocks. He was out of surgery at approximately 9:00 AM. It was unclear if he was in surgery all of this time or what the extent of the injuries was.

I was told that they were flying him to Army trauma center in Landstuhl, Germany this evening. It is a 10 hour trip and he should arrive Sunday morning. This is good sign because he is in stable enough condition to be moved. Hopefully we will be able to arrange a phone call once he arrives. I am suppose to get a prognosis report when leaves Iraq / Kuwait (approximately 7:00 PM). Unfortunately, I just learned that the prognosis report will not be available for several more hours

Barb referred me to co-worker (Shane McDonald – 509.332.8123) who had recently spent 15 months working as a physical therapist in U.S. Military Hospital in Germany. He was able to give me a better perspective of what the recovery process would be like and how Jason would be treated by the Army. First, the Army pushes the wounded soldiers to get up and become active as soon as possible, even during their short stay in Germany they are immediately placed in physical therapy? They are typically reassessed and additional surgery is performed as necessary. Wounded solders are sent directly to a military hospital or trauma center depending on their injuries. I was told by the Army that Jason will more than likely go to D.C (i.e. Walter Reed) or Huston (Brooks). Shane says the care at these facilities is very good and they try keep them there as long as necessary. Once the immediate surgeries and other treatments are completed, Jason will probably be assigned to his base at Ft. Steward and have therapy there, additional surgeries as necessary and counseling. He will work at the base if is able. Jason will be given 30 day medical leave(s) to come home and he will receive treatment as necessary while he is here.

I hope to receive more information concerning the severity of Jason injuries. Katy, Lisa and I greatly appreciate the support we have received from our friends.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will continue to pray for Jason and his family. He is obviously a man of great courage and conviction.

I pray for he and his family every day, and pray for his own peace of mind, most importantly.

Sincerely,

Jay Rehak

Monday, October 31, 2005 10:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing Jason's recovery with us and we are glad this his recovery is going well. You are a truly remarkable family.
Did I miss an address where we can send Jason a get well card? And if there are some specific things we could send him, would love to help out. I work at a library and lots of good paperbacks get donated. Would love to send a batch of them to him.
Love and best wishes from Chicago, Camp Pendleton and Senegal,
The Rowes, Frank, Adelaide, Ian (who is a Captain in the Marines) and Libby

Monday, October 31, 2005 10:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Military Mom said...

Lt. Jason Scott is in my prayers. I will be praying for him daily, and I've asked my friends to also pray for him and his family.
Sheila
ArmyVeteran MarineMom

Tuesday, November 01, 2005 4:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home