Captain Jason

The latest news on the recover of Jason after his injury in Iraq by an IED.


Pictures

Snail Mail:

Cpt. Jason Scott
WRAMC Building 20
Mologne House Hotel #316
6900 Georgia Ave. NW
Washington DC 20307

Phone: 202 577 0092

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Wednesday 3/15/06

Jason was up and headed for PT early. A person was at WR to discuss the various sport prosthetics available for the patients. Jason found them interesting and will order one for Kayaking later and is also thinking about ordering one for swimming. It inflates as it hits the water then deflates so the swimmer does not get resistance. There were prosthetics for playing ball Jason said, "The hand is not a mit but made similar to a Lacrosse catcher." Jason thought the ideas were very creative and he could see them as enabling arm amputees to again enjoy their sports.

After lunch Jason and I headed for ward 67 where vitals etc are taken for his surgery planned for Thursday to correct the right eyeball's placement after injury. I asked the RN why did Jason have to continually give the same medical history. She responded that the hospital is required to keep individual records of each patient's procedures. The way the system is set up, each visit is totally separate like a new patient. Somehow, I think the system should be improved so that the RN doesn't have to ask the basic questions but can use a template where it is "on the screen in front" of her/him to be included "in this visit." Jason has had so many visits, I cannot imagine how much money has been spent on collecting the same information. We have taken the approach of writing on forms, "See WR medical records" to answer questions such as "Have you had previous surgery?" For medications we use the same response. You do what you can do to lighten the load of the wounded soldier.

Earlier in the day I had walked to Silver Spring and shopped at Whole Foods. I got Jason Jamba Juice, still having trouble with the coupons, and 8 oz of London Broil. I purchased a bouquet of tulips and daffodils to "bring spring" into our room. What a blessing, they lift my heart and I hope they do the same for Jason. The flowering trees are in full bloom as are daffodils, crocus and myrtle in the WR lawn. Birds, especially cardinals, are singing all across campus in the morning. I feel like they are a living metaphor for the new life that is being created for Jason. May "many sunny springs" happen in his body and his heart this season of new beginnings. May each of you have a wonderful spring filled with flowers and birds, family and friends.

Story of Quixote:
Nancy and Ken were so kind again to pick me up and take me to Quixote Center for Wednesday liturgy. I have to tell you a story which started last week. Dolly usually arrives for our shared pot luck after liturgy and this time she arrived "with a guest." The cat's name was "Simon" and belonged to a neighbor for whom Dolly cat sits. He was out and she would take him back home later. Simon was rambunctious and even bit Nancy as he got excited with the treats of our dinner that we were all offering him. As we were leaving Bill said he would walk "Simon" home, Dolly had the key and would put him in for the night. So Bill (age 75) and Ken(age 65) walked the cat home (don't ask "why would anyone walk a cat home;" accept it is who Quixote peace and justice folks are and who I would like to be.)

The next morning, the neighbor came over to Dolly and said, "I have a bone to pick with you. I woke up this morning and I had two black cats in the house!" Our mouths fell open and we laughed! Dolly had let in a stranger! Actually the neighborhood folks knew the cat and now the question is "Who will take the cat home for keeps?" I am the only one in the circle who doesn't have a cat and Jason is allergic and I don't think that Mologne House permits pets. Most of the folks at Quixote have at least two cats. So does any one want/need a black kitty cat?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I met Katy in Columbus during the chaplain retreat and conference, and by extension, I met Jason. Just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing. Remembering you all in prayer. Peace and all good, Ed Horvat, Morgantown, WV

Thursday, March 16, 2006 3:43:00 PM  
Blogger Katy (Scott) Zatsick said...

Hi Ed, welcome to the blog.
I hope you enjoy my entries as I try to share the experience of being with a wounded soldier at Walter Reed.

Blessings on your ministry and thanks for supporting our emotional and spiritual journey.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home