Captain Jason

The latest news on the recover of Jason after his injury in Iraq by an IED.


Pictures

Snail Mail:

Cpt. Jason Scott
WRAMC Building 20
Mologne House Hotel #316
6900 Georgia Ave. NW
Washington DC 20307

Phone: 202 577 0092

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Update 11/23/05

Happy Thanksgiving to all

While he was in PT this morning, CNN was doing a follow-up story on another vet. Jason's media savy continues as he was wearing a navy AirForce tee shirt during a surprise CNN interview with him. Jason was offering support to Mike. (Capt. Colbert expect a call to LTC Wald's office tomorrow-comment by Jason)

Jason's fans are growing in number(especially relevant for all you who have said you over the years that you couldn't wait for our annual Christmas letter because you "waited all year for Jason's section") Today Jason's psychiatrist Dr. Patel-remember the Hokey Pokey story- brought back the head of the department and some Marines, all interns Jason figures. Jason tells the story deadpan, "I'm depressed...What if the Hokey Pokey IS what its all about?" Jason said the MD does the same thing really(as Ms French when he "played her"), really leans in close and is trying to be straight faced, professional. Jason loved it, however when he was done the Dept Head said, "Do that again to me and I will dump you out of the bed!" Which I am sure "Made My Day" for Jason! Of course, knowing Jason he is plotting his next encounter!

I was there when it happened:
This evening Dan (Jason's army buddy) and I were at bedside after dinner. All of a sudden, Jason gets these contortions on his face and he keeps making the strangest movements with his lips. He is looking really "snarly" to me, he's not saying a word just these changing shapes-up/down/out/in for about a minute. I look at him and say "Jason what is going on?" "Fucking weird!(direct quote). I can control my lips on the right side, I can feel!" Just like that! the nerves must have reconnected! How cool is this? I felt as when he took his first steps! A body part now working after 5 weeks. Jason was quick to add, "my tongue on the right side is still numb."
So must be different nerve package!

A scary when it happened:
Judy and Bob Madigan and Dow were bringing Jason back from OT this afternoon. Jason had been very busy. On the elevator Jason said"Let me try standing up and riding (from 3 to 5)" Jason stood up, the elevator starts and Jason says, "I'm loosing it!" His chair was right behind him everyone grabs Jason and let him down easy as he passes out for about 5 seconds. Of course Dr. Todd comes up to see him after it happens. In an explosion such as the IED Jason experienced the crystals in the inner ear which govern balance are ______. (I'm not sure what). They usually recover about 2/3 months out. The Ear MD is coming to check Jason's inner ear tomorrow. Jason met another soldier with similar results. The soldier said he passed out the first time he road in a car, and had trouble at movies.

Blessings to all this Thanksgiving Day

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read a message on AR15.com
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=411741

So I checked out the blog. Just wanted to say thank you for your service and I'm sorry to hear about your injuries. I spent Christmas 01 in WRAMC after me and a landmine had a tussle. I lost a leg... but the landmine is gone... so I guess I won that one.

http://www.militarycity.com/sept11/hess.html

Hope they're treating you right over there.

Take care and best wishes.

Matt Hess

Thursday, November 24, 2005 2:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home