Captain Jason

The latest news on the recover of Jason after his injury in Iraq by an IED.


Pictures

Snail Mail:

Cpt. Jason Scott
WRAMC Building 20
Mologne House Hotel #316
6900 Georgia Ave. NW
Washington DC 20307

Phone: 202 577 0092

Thursday, April 13, 2006

The Gifts of Community: A Car for Jason's Use

Jason said he feels better but had a difficult time sleeping last night. He did not get out of bed until 10:15 this morning. Looking at his calendar he did not make the check-up after his hip surgery yesterday-sick in bed. So we will have to reschedule that one. We got a call that General Webster was visiting troops today and Jason was invited to meet with him in the hospital. Jason wound up not being able to visit with him.

I left for my therapy session and Jason said that he would head to PT at 1 PM. Jason had his hour of stretching and strengthening with Kyla. Jason spent an hour's time in radiation oncology with Dr. Wilson who will perform the treatment tomorrow after surgery. It is scheduled for 1 PM. Jason's surgery is now scheduled for the first round 7-8 AM. We have to report at 6 AM to ward 67 for check in. Good friend Martha Turner is completing test at WR tomorrow. She said she would try to catch up with Jason there.

When I returned at about 3 PM, I got a call, "Quick, mom, bring my boxing gloves to Prosthetics, pronto." I rifled through his chest from Iraq and found them and headed for the 3rd floor of WR. Jason was being fitted for his body powered prosthetic. Jason admitted that the muscle/electronic one was "pain in the__" for him. He has worn it a very small amount of time outside of OT. Pray that he is able to learn and manipulate this prosthetic and is comfortable with his new prosthetic. I understand that it should arrive next week.

I asked Dan if they were involved in the DARPA research on the next generation of arms/hands. He said "yes," but couldn't tell me more as it was "classified" I said, "Classified? Jason is a subject in the program." Dan replied with a smile, "Good we need a few guinea pigs!" So I have no idea what they are doing in this research project but obviously more than Jason's "right arm."

The whole idea of the visit for Jason was to begin work on the boxing hand prosthetic. So they were taking measurements up and down Jason's arms. Jason's right arm HO gave him a twinge of phantom pain during the fitting, he said, "I could feel my index finger burn." Dan said, "Where does it hurt on your residual arm?" Jason said that he couldn't find a MD yet to get permission for a kayak and swimming prosthetics.

Late in the afternoon, Jason was talking to Jodi and watching TV. The phone rang and I answered it. Jason's 3rd ID liaison had been trying to reach him all day before surgery tomorrow. The phone system here at Mologne is phoohey, a person calling from the outside cannot hear us, phone line is really statically etc. So...I thought the gentleman on the other end was Sgt. Witson. I told Jason, "Jason Sgt Witson is trying to reach you." "Jodi, just a second I have to answer this call."

"Hello, Sgt?"
"Oh, Sir.. and the conversation continues adamantly"
including General Webster's wanting to know "Why the phone had such poor reception."
Jason gets off the phone, recalls Jodi and says, "My mother set me up, that wasn't the Sgt. It was General Webster (3rd ID commander in Iraq and a two star general)." I thought with you on the phone, the TV on the phone kaput, it was amazing I heard anything. General Webster has visited WR before and was calling Jason to see how he was doing and to wish him well during surgery on Friday. General Webster is a really neat man and Jason respects him and because Jason does, so do I.

I went to Quixote Center for Holy Thursday's liturgy and potluck. Tonight we each took a turn washing another's foot. What does it mean to be servants of the other? "To do as I do?" Nancy and Ken members of our weekly circle gave Jason a gift today. Jason now has a Nissan pathfinder for his use as long as he is in DC. I began to cry when I tried to offer them thanks on Jason's behalf. God is truly present in the Love we share with one another in community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home