Captain Jason

The latest news on the recover of Jason after his injury in Iraq by an IED.


Pictures

Snail Mail:

Cpt. Jason Scott
WRAMC Building 20
Mologne House Hotel #316
6900 Georgia Ave. NW
Washington DC 20307

Phone: 202 577 0092

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Who's Behind the Wheel? Jason! That's Who

Today being Mother's Day, the schedule was a little different.
Jason slept in till about 10:30, talked to Jodi and asked, "What do you want to do today?" Jason said, "What about lunch and a movie?" Lois Spoden had called earlier and just then called again. Jason got on the phone, "What are you doing coming to visit me on Mother's Day?" I said, "Jason Lois is like a second mother to you and a friend." I think Lois truly is. Anyway I don't know who persuaded whom, but Lois said she would bring her 16 year old son Chris and come for lunch. They would be at Mologne about 2:30.

Jason spent time on the computer and then Lt. Ken Ballard's mother called. She had visited Arlington cemetery this morning and was at the airport going home early. Karen had wanted to meet with Jason today but she needed to "get out of DC." Jason and Karen had a nice visit over the phone. She asked about photos of Ken but Jason had lost his digital photos along the journey. Karen will be back Memorial Day and wants to try to get together with Jason that weekend.

Lois and Chris arrived and we headed out to McGinty's Irish Pub because Macaroni Grill had an hour wait for dinner. Everyone was taking their mothers out to dinner there. When we got to McGinty's we were the ONLY people in the pub! I said, "Jason you take mothers to the "hot spots!" The food at McGinty's IS good and we all recommend it. Lois loved the clam chowder, Chris loved his macaroni and cheese. Jason had Guiness beef stew and I had fish and chips. Jason couldn't believe I "peeled" the batter from the fish and ate the fish. Chris made us smile with his favorite animal stories including "An elderly lady reported a peeping tom to the police, when they arrived they found a raccoon clinging to the screen. And a Park ranger stopped a man who was trying to get a black bear into the driver's seat. The man said, "I wanted to take a picture of a bear behind the wheel with my wife in the passenger's seat."

After lunch Chris and Lois had to leave, Chris said, "I didn't get to tell Jason about my career possibilities." We all felt badly, "Chris you and your mom will have to take Jason out to lunch another day so you can talk to him about careers." We took pictures outside of the pub and I said "Goodbye" as I will probably not see Lois again before I leave WR. "Thank you" Lois and Dan for being such good friends.

After the movie Art School Confidential with John Malkovich (sp?), Jason and I headed back to Mologne. I asked, "Jason want to practice driving the car?" He has not driven a car since before going to Iraq and not since he arrived at Walter Reed. "Okay, Mom pull it over and I will give it a try." So I switched places after we entered the Post and Jason drove for about a half hour through the parking lots, in the underground garage, around traffic circles and parking. Jason parked at Mologne and said, "That was a real workout for my wrist." I hadn't thought of driving as OT/PT. Jason felt good about his "first time out behind the wheel." Jason did say "Driving is hard on the stitches" in his belly.

After Jason headed to the room, the rain had stopped and the sun was the beautiful early evening and I headed for the track for a walk. Earlier I had called soldier Joe (trip to Lourdes) as he had wanted to get together for Mother's Day and I couldn't make it. We are talking on the cell as I walk around the track. And there is Joe looking at a pick-up in the parking lot! I say, "Joe? Is that you?" It was like a scene from a movie or a sit-com. Joe said, "I sure am glad I didn't lie about where I was." What a hoot, life imitating art. Joe said that he had been able to run a lap and a half earlier today and I was happy for him. "Walk with me, I will help you do PT." Joe joined me for about 2 times around and said, "You walk at a good pace, I will have to bow out." We make a date for Tuesday lunch as I want to go out with Joe before I leave and I won't be on Post for most of the next two weekends. Joe is such a very nice young man and he has been a blessing in my time here. It will be so hard to say "Good bye" to the friends I have made while I have been at WR.

Flowers to say "Thank You and Happy Mother's Day."

I have lived by the rule for myself while I have been at WR: Politics exist outside the Post. They are not to enter Jason's room or presence. While I am here on the grounds, Jason's healing has been the focus of all my wits, experience, and spiritual and emotional energy as mother and as patient advocate. A group that holds vigils for peace and "to take care of our soldiers when they come home-health care and benefits" offered to contribute flowers for Mother's Day for the mothers at Mologne. When I was told there would be over 300 roses to distribute I was taken aback. I thought this gives me an opportunity to say "thank you" to all the personnel whom I can meet today, knowing that I would never be able to say blessings to each of all the many, many staff who have cared so tenderly for Jason both in and out of the hospital. Whom God sends me, I will offer thanks for their gifts in Jason's life.

I firmly believe that God is Love and even though it is Mother's Day, the Compassion and Tender Care given by all the staff at WR to patients and we family members is "Mother/Father God." Through their Compassion, WR staff create the Sacred Space where healing can take place for family and soldier patients. We know the concrete reality of the physical suffering and healing at Walter Reed well, Compassion is the emotional and spiritual reality we experience if we are open and can "see and hear and feel" its Presence. Compassion brings healing for one's soul.

I also know that for workers in an institution, oftentimes "Thanks" are not offered, only criticism for performance. I wanted to say thanks to those who oftentimes receive no thanks. So with these intentions and understanding of the "gift of roses for Mother's Day" I meet the volunteers, I think about 5 as we are to carry roses to family and staff at Mologne, to Fischer houses, to each of the religious services, cafeteria, and wards where Jason has stayed as an inpatient. We added the pediatric ward on the recommendation of a RN. The roses are of every color and fill 5 buckets. I understand that the roses were to carry a "Happy Mother's Day" instead we have to strip the roses of Julie Ward Howe's 1870 original proclamation as it is too political for my approval.

We meet family members and staff and children and soldiers at Mologne offering wishes for the day. It was so good for me to be able to say, "Take extra for staff to say thank you for their care." The soldiers and staff were very glad to do so. One soldier in a wheel chair said, "Give me a bunch, the nurses have been so good to me." His feelings made my eyes fill with tears. Some of us went to Fischer and others went to the hospital. The minister at the 9:30 hospital service thanked us and asked for a dozen roses so he could give out to the mothers at his service.

While we waited on the third floor lobby area, we talked with a worker from the kitchen. She poured out her story of grief as she remembered loosing her uncle and mother. She told of how she sprinkled her mother's ashes on her father's grave "Mom had said that she wanted to be sprinkled there, I know I shouldn't have but..." I assured her she had done the right thing. She took two roses, one for each of her children. I thanked her for her work at the hospital and how her work provided for the soldier patients and my son. We hugged and wished each other "Happy Mother's Day." And my heart sang.

After the Catholic service, staff took bunches of the roses "to share with the members of my department." Everyone was so happy to take the roses and remarked on their beauty and were thankful for being remembered on Mother's Day. Each time I could I offered thanks and a reminder that their tender care and work supported patient soldiers and their family members as a mother cares for her children.

I gave a rose to the "Guv" when I met him in the mess hall. I thanked him for his work with the families of patient soldiers. I met Dr. Aquila after Mass and I offered him a rose for his care of Jason here at WR. I met Solomon one of the PT's and offered him a rose as thanks. Some persons asked for a white rose because their mothers had died. Some took roses for daughters or other family members. I gave roses to the Security guards both inside and at the Main Gate to the Post. I said, "Thank you" to all persons I gave the roses to.

When I returned to Mologne, the maid was visiting, I gave her one of the roses I had saved for our room. I thanked her for the work she did taking care of the soldiers' rooms. She told me of her grief this mother's day as her cousin, age 17 had just been shot and killed, I think she said two weeks ago. She was going home and her husband would cook. She asked him "What are you cooking?" He wouldn't tell her "A surprise." She smiled and we wished each other a "Happy Mother's Day" and I said I would keep her, her 4 children and her cousin's family in my prayers.

"Giving Thanks" for the goodness of others. What a wonderful morning to be able to say thanks with roses of many colors. Blessings to each of you this Mother's Day for your care and love you have offered us on our journey of healing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home